MODULE 20: Art News and Interviews
Q. & A. Session.
Question: Why should an artist care about following the art news?
- Art news services are a key aspect of knowing about new trends and developments in your field as well as being another way to get additional coverage for your work in the future.
- Art news is a place for you to get your work and/or exhibitions covered on more than just 'event listing' services by contacting editors and submitting work for news stories. Getting a larger platform is a crucial aspect of building an art career in the global marketplace and art journalism is one part of making that happen.
- Complimenting naitonal writers on how much you enjoyed their articles and being in touch with a few local art writers that might be able to provide you with extra coverage never hurts either. Remember, most of the art writers of the world write for the news and not critical magazines, and most are relatively unknown and unapprecaited, so friending a few on social media or following a few writers blogs that you genuinely enjoy can lead to developing a working relationship that may get you some extra exposure down the line.
- So when you do read the art news, take note of your favorite art writers and be sure to compliment their work. Try to slowly build working relationships with them or at least include them in your network of people you support, share, and tell others about their work and yours!
- Of course, none of this can happen though if you don't first follow the art news!
PART 1: SELF-EDUCATE ON ART NEWS AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT
Question 1: How can following industry news boost your career?
Question 2: How can you stay releveant in your industry?
Question 3: What do you have to do to get ahead in your profession?
Question 4: Why is it important to manage your career development?
Question 5: What are the top strategies to interview well?
PART 2: PICK YOUR FAVORITE NATIONAL ART NEWS SERVICES AND LIST THEM ON QUIZ 20.
You should always have a list of the top 10 or 20 art news services around the world that welcome the open listing of events. Having a greater digital footprint globably will get your work seen by more people and ultimately lead to greater opportunities to show your work around the world. Remember, providing images and a press release well in advance of the show increases your odds of them accepting your submission and making sure the images are compelling and shot to the specifications of the organization will help even more.
Art News Services (Sub-category)
https://artefuse.com | contemporary art blog focused on art shows which are currently on display, interviews and studio visits |
http://artfcity.com | contemporary art; daily mix of blunt criticism, commentary and community-minded journalism |
http://www.artfixdaily.com | curated news from the art world |
https://www.artforum.com | print and online art news |
http://www.arthistorynews.com/index.php | Art history news, research, and auctions |
http://www.artinamericamagazine.com | News on Exhibitions in America |
http://www.artinamericamagazine.com | Get the latest news on the events, trends, and people that shape the global art market |
http://www.artnews.com | print and online; covers ins and outs of art world, profiles top 200 collectors |
http://theartnewspaper.com | also includes economic commentary |
http://artsfuse.org | Boston’s online arts magazine |
http://www.artsjournal.com | Art News from around the world |
https://www.artsy.net | news about art, artists, fairs, auctions, and magazines |
http://www.blouinartinfo.com | daily news and developments from the art world |
http://www.collegeart.org | News about art grants, residences, conferences, etc |
http://www.thisiscolossal.com | blog that explores art and other aspects of visual culture |
http://www.contemporaryartdaily.com | a daily journal of international exhibitions |
http://contemporaryforum.org/news/ | news relating to the Phoenix Art Museum |
http://www.creativeapplications.net/holo/ | emerging applications in technology and art |
http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/about | features the works of visionary artists across multiple disciplines who are using technology to push the boundaries of creative expression |
http://design-milk.com/category/art/ | focuses on modern design, but also talks about art, architecture, etc. |
http://dismagazine.com | explores the tension between popular culture and institutional critique |
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/section/arts | news on the latest architecture, photo, design and books |
http://hyperallergic.com | forum for playful, serious, and radical perspectives on art and culture
http://www.ignant.com | award-winning online magazine featuring the finest in art, design, photography, fashion and architecture |
http://illusion.scene360.com/about/ | arts magazine that covers fine art, graffiti, tattoo, design, and cinema |
http://www.itsnicethat.com/categories/art | based in London, uses the word “creativity” a lot |
http://www.juxtapoz.com/news/page/2/ | Illustration and figurative art news |
http://www.newcriterion.com/index.cfm | a monthly review of the arts and intellectual life |
http://www.nytimes.com/topic/subject/art | News about Art, including commentary and archival articles published in The New York Times |
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts | up and coming shows, news, and culture |
http://www.pdnonline.com | information on blogs, reviews, magazines, and trade shows |
http://www.photography-now.com/exhibition/?type=A | more links and opportunities |
http://www.popphoto.com/tags/news | information on new photography gear, galleries, trends, and marketing campaigns |
http://www.randian-online.com | based in China; independent commentary on art, artists, exhibitions and galleries, as well as video, architecture and design |
http://synapticstimuli.com/Information | curation of hi-fidelity aesthetic stimulation which may affect and expand one’s consciousness |
http://synapticstimuli.com/Information | contemporary art news |
https://www.yatzer.com/art | discover and follow the most engaging creative projects and people in art, fashion, design, architecture and hospitality from around the world |